The E&S major comprises a required set of core courses and completion of a selected concentration.
- All E&S students are required to take the E&S core curriculum courses.
- All students must select one of six concentrations consisting of six to ten additional courses.
- For E&S majors who matriculated before 2018-2019, you may choose to follow the new curriculum or the 2017-2018 curriculum (includes Elective Lists A, B and C).
Students should familiarize themselves as freshmen with the requirements of concentrations in which they may be interested.
- Some requirements within the core curriculum are listed as categories with different options listed for fulfilling that requirement.
- Four of the six concentrations require or recommend that students select specific courses among those options listed.
Students also should begin to plan in the freshman year for meeting a required capstone experience in their senior year. Completing an integrative independent study/project or internship, or a research honors thesis, takes advanced planning initiated by early discussion of options with an academic advisor or research mentor.
Many courses within the E&S core curriculum also meet CALS distribution requirements and, depending on the concentration, some courses within the concentrations also meet CALS distribution requirements. However, no course may be double-counted as meeting both E&S core curriculum requirements and E&S concentration requirements.